Sunday, March 25, 2007

The Action Research Question

3/13/2007 –
Attended Elluminate Session –
Write a desired statement with group,
An induction plan will be designed and implemented to meet needs of new educators.

Question asked: What is the best way to provide coaching to teachers?

As a result of the last elluminate session, I started to do a little more research on Induction Plans and Coaching. I was given a copy of Paula Rutherford’s Book, Instruction for All Students and a copy of a notebook from a workshop that was provided in Broward County last summer called, Leading the Learning. In this notebook, I found great information to support my action research.
If you want or need to design or refine your induction program, it is important to not only attend to the context into which the program will be introduced, it is essential to identify the outcomes you want to obtain as a result of the induction program before planning any events or identifying who will be mentors.

Goal – “a fully qualified and satisfied teacher in each classroom.”

This supports the information gained in the last Elluminate Session in which it was determined I needed to define my “desired state”. From this I can better create a single question for my action research: What coaching plan supports what teachers need most to be fully qualified and satisfied in the classroom.

By developing this question, I am better able to focus my research and data collection on the effectiveness of coaches and determine whether or not the desired state is met.

1 comment:

Randee Deich said...

"By developing this question, I am better able to focus my research and data collection on the effectiveness of coaches and determine whether or not the desired state is met."


There might be a time during your study when your question may change…again. Keep track of the evolution of your question. Perhaps you will be able to identify the catalyst that brings on its development.
You have found yourself in the continuous improvement cycle- ENJOY!!